"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Hair styling by a dummy

Hair has never been that important to me. I should clarify and state I mean hair styles. Even when I was a kid growing up through all the teen stuff, the best I would do is perm or use a curling iron to put a few curls in at the sides of my head. The sides never matched, one curled easy and held longer than the other side. I have fine hair, but a lot of it, so very thick.. Any one who knows me or has met me in person already knows this about. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out. My main goal with hair styles on myself is to keep the hair out of my eyes at all costs. I CAN NOT stand not being able to see what I am doing. So all these fancy stylish hair dos with the front longer than the back doesn't work for me. I have tried them from time to time, but they don't last long.

I tell you all this because I was/am willing to put myself out, way out of my comfort zone in having two daughters, and now I see it will be three who want/need their hair styled and fussed over. I have given myself a long break, the last month or so, taking it easy on yourself. Style Ve's hair one week at a time, with the knowledge that each week I would challenge myself more and more with more difficult styles.

Two weeks ago I ordered from Steph at Snapaholics and along with my order she was more than generous with beads, threaders, bandannas, hair boppers etc., as a gift to my girls. They arrived this week, and it was easily the cutest sight watching the girls as I opened each and every package. One would have thought it was Christmas morning all over again. I unloaded them into plastic bins that I had purchased from Fleet Farm (great advice from Mandy)




So today, the hair styling day, I attempted to style Ve's and Tuks (she, of course won't be left out) hair with beads.

The results:


One 1/2 hours, 10 minutes late for church, two broken threaders, an acquired skill for snaps, one bleeding fingernail (mine), still no hang of threading the small beads, but accomplished on the large beads later I was done. I WAS exhausted, mentally that is. I have read all these wonderful posts of great hair styles, but for some reason I haven't seen a post on the early in training styles. Well that is what this post is all about.



Both styles


Ve's tyle

Excuse Tuks windblown hair. Since we were having a heatwave today (it is in the 30's and that feels mighty warm, believe me) neighbor A took the girls to feed the ducks after church today, and it was WINDY!! Tuks hair is real fine, and it is hard to keep the braids and beads in. It is only 12:32 and she has only one braid left since the other fell out.

If you look real closely, you will notice that Ve has corn particles stuck in her hair from the duck feeding. Me, the dummy didn't think about the corn getting blown and yes, then stuck (due to the gels) in her hair...like I said, I am the hair stylist dummy. I have so much to learn.

I am a hair stylist in training,and let's be blunt, I HAVE A LOT OF TRAINING TO GO THROUGH until I can say with pride that I have arrived....

So I will take no offense if more seasoned hair stylist want to leave me tips or comments in how to perfect the styling, so it will go easier for me and the girls. You will be doing a great humanitarian work, by saving three little girls from the anguished process of their Mama attempting to style their hair, if you can help me out.

8 comments:

veggiemom said...

Even with the corn, it's still very cute!!! I think Medina's hair is finally starting to get long enough to do something to. Love Tuki's braids and beads too.

This Mama said...

Nice - I think you did great!!

Marta said...

Wow, way to jump in! I admire you for realizing it's probably going to be important to them even tho it's not your thing. Sherri Gregg has some really basic starter stuff on her blog "Braids, Beads, Truth" I have her linked on my blog towards the bottom of the sidebar. I don't know if you've read her stuff or not, but she takes it step by step. Also she's posted in the archives at "Rainbow Kids". HTH I think you did great BTW

Anonymous said...

I have been worried about doing Wid's hair lately. I know it may be the least of my worries. But I read how important it is to them to have their hair done. I am so worried I will screw up and she'll end up bald! LOL So you wash and comb out her hair once a week? Have you been moisturizing? I hear you can over moisturize??? I have a bad problem with over watering plants, so I worry I will over moisturize her hair! HAHA

Sarah said...

Hi! We recently brought our daughter home from COTP in Haiti. The first few hairstyles I had my wonderful neighbor do and then I nervously went on my own after that. One of the best "tools" to get is a rat tail comb. It is a comb with a long, thin handle (mine has a metal "tail"). It makes doing parts easy and they come out straight. I alternate between braids and "puffs" about every other week because it takes me a while to braid! One easy hairstyle that I get compliments on:
-divide Ve's hair into 4 quadrants and ponytail them off to keep them out of the way of the one you are working on.
-divide each quadrant on the diagonal so it turns into two even triangles. moisturize each section and put into a ponytail to make a puff.
-do this for each of the quadrants -the end result looks like a cute little halo of "puffs." The parts make the top of their head look like it is divided into a wheel pattern.
I have had people stop me at the mall and ask who did her hair when she wears it like this. It is easy and I can get it done in about 20-30 mins now.
Sarah- Landie's mom

Anonymous said...

Boy, can I relate to this post! Hair has never been that important to me and I can not and never could manage a curling iron. So you can imagine how nervous I was when adopting my girls from Haiti. My best advice - see if you can find a black hairdresser who is willing to give you lessons in a few simple easy styles. I am part of a group of adoptive families and that is what we did. We had a haircare and styling party and a hairdresser came and taught a few simple styles. From there, I have been able to "branch" out a bit.

Good luck! They look very cute today!
Sharon

PS - You will also find that as their hair grows a bit, you can leave the style in for longer. My oldest daughter is 5 and her hair is quite long and I leave her hair done for 4-6 weeks before having to re-style it.

Steph, G's Mom said...

Hey C!!! This is great for a first try! Isn't it kinda fun? Just remember all these doodads will hold best the smaller you make the braids or twists. If you want to REALLY get some great starting tips join the adoptionhair_skincare yahoo group.

The EASIEST way to do a bit smaller braids, but not worrying about straight parts, is what i call a Mosaic style. you just take your fine comb and just "scoop" a small section of hair and braid or twist that. Then just keep scooping in random small sections about the same size but with a random shape. it comes out like a mosaic and is MUCH FASTER than worrying about parts. Once your fingers get the braiding and twisting down pat, then you can worry about parting. And puffs are your FRIENDS!!! :) have fun! glad they liked the stuff :)

Sarah said...

Wow--you did great for your first time! I can't even imagine how hard and difficult that must be to begin with. I'm a bit of relieved here that we adopted boys--I can't even put decent pigtails in my white daughter's hair ;)

Keep it up, girl!

My Travels