"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Sunday, February 15, 2009

VerbalVe and her perspective on her new life




Every time we go for a ride Ve shouts out "Christmas" all excitedly and points.
Tuks and I would look high and low for any signs of Christmas decorations etc., but usually come up empty handed.

Then it dawned on me one day that Ve was pointing at trees and calling them Christmas. Why you may wonder, well I believe since she came home just weeks before Christmas, and there were all kinds of Christmas trees up in the homes, and trees with outside lights on, we told her they were Christmas trees. Ve's translation is that all trees were called Christmas. Now she calls them trees too, and boy does she get excited about trees. There are a few trees and/or forests growing in Haiti, but not many. Plus Ve was born in Port au Prince, where there are very FEW trees and I doubt she hardly if ever ventured out of the city. So, she gets excited about trees, as do the rest of us.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today in Sunday school, the teachers had the kids draw pictures of what they were
afraid of, and guess what Ve's fear is; ready for this....SNOW. I had to laugh because I have been thinking that from her perspective, she may be thinking the snow is here to stay for the rest of her life. POOR Kid, but I am relieved that is all she has expressed a fear in, considering all she has been through..
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last night I was real brave. I, by myself, translation, only adult, took the girls out to eat for Valentines Day Supper. It was the first time Ve has ever been out to eat with us since she has been home. She did pretty well, but there are certain manners we need to continue to work on. Tuks did great, but she has been out to eat numerous times, and she is in a very understanding mature 3 year old phase. She is a joy to be around again, except for the poor little girl has been dealing with a cold for the last week and it is wiping her out. So, I was glad to see we can still frequent outings and not fear about bad behaviours.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Good for you on taking your dynamic duo out to eat by yourself for the first time! I'm glad it went well for you.

LOL about the Snow Fear. My hubby, a native islander, shares the same deep fear :)

My Travels