"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Saturday, February 21, 2009

"I don't have a dad"

Today was the last day of the early winter session of the girl's gymnastic class.

Thus it meant parents could sit in the room rather than vying for a spot near the one big window so we could all watch our babies be gymnasts. I reminded the girls that even though I was in the room this week, they were to still pay extra attention and listen to their coaches.

During the warm up time the head coach mentions to all sixteen athletes, that there were very special people here today, their parents, or actually she said your Moms and Dads. Well low and behold that was inaccurate information. Tuks does not like inaccurate information so she likes to correct someone when something is stated falsely. So Tuks, out of all 16 kids, states matter of factly; "I don't have a Dad".

The coach then stated "your Mom is here"

Now I was not worried about Tuks statement at all. Like I have said before, I usually emphasize to the girls with things that we do have. A few months ago I remember reading some sort of story to Tuks, this was before Ve was home, and the story had a Mommy and Daddy in it. I mentioned to Tuks that we had 3 puppy dogs, 3 kitty cats, a mama and two sisters in Haiti, but no daddy. But that was OK, because we had so much. Tuks thought for a moment and she said, "We have Daddy Gary (Angie's' husband) at Angie's school" . I told her that is right we do. It made me so proud that she looked at our family as to what we have instead of what we don't have.



Today's response was just an act of correcting her coach's wrong information. I am sure we will have more discussions on this topic in the future, but today I had to laugh and be proud of my little fire ball!! So I won't go into detail of her tantrum AFTER the class...that one always has me guessing as to her next move....

3 comments:

veggiemom said...

Aah...dads. Medina sometimes asks if I can find a dad. I asked her once what a dad would do in our family. Her response - cook injera (an Ethiopian staple) and brownies.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

We've been through these discussions too. I wrote a little book for Buddy with photos of all our family members and a replay of our "Where is my dad?" discussions. I just tell him he doesn't have a dad because I'm single and I adopted him, but he has grandparents, uncles and aunts, cousins, brothers, etc. It gives him his story in language he can use. It sounds like you are doing a great job helping Tuki manage.

Anonymous said...

You should feel proud! It is wonderful she is so confident!

My Travels