"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Education Post

When Ve first came home, and I entered her into school, I decided that before I made any requests of the school or teachers I would see what they would do on their own. A passive approach. Sort of like to see what their policy would be. I felt since Ve was starting in Kinder, I really had time on my hands, and there was no lower she could start her formal education with like age groups.

I believe I also had mentioned earlier that I had relayed to Ve's teacher and Principal that I did not expect any special treatment with Ve in regards to expected behaviors. I realized very quickly that Ve could understand quite well, and her being so smart, would use the "I don't understand Look" to her advantage and try to get away with as much as possible. She required, for her own transition into her new life, a structured environment and structured teachers. Ve is a goof ball, likes to be silly and LOVES to be the class clown. I figure that the beginning of every school year, I will be contacted by her teachers because Ve will first test to see how much she can get away with, and then once I inform the teachers that they need to be VERY consistent with, what is expected of her, is indeed followed through with, otherwise she will take it as a suggestion. LOL, not really LOL. Anyway I digress.

I was receiving great reports back from her main teacher, but some not so good reports from her music teacher and gym teacher. The not so good reports were because these two teachers were more lax in their expected behavior, and guess what my class clown decided to do, yep, that’s right, not listen. Once I explained to the two teachers that they weren’t doing Ve or the rest of their students any good by teaching her that it was ok, to not follow directions, things started to change for the better. The teachers were trying to go easy on her since she was adjusting, but I explained that I wanted Ve to adjust to correct behaviors and not lax behaviors.

Then, at Parent teacher conferences, I of course received the news that Ve should be retained for Kinder again next year. It hit me hard, and I really had to sort through my feelings as to why, since I had initially told them I would be ok with this decision if that was necessary.

Once I realized that I was NOT Ok with this decision at this time, I jumped to action. At P/T conferences, Ve had only been in a formal school setting being educated at her age level for 6 weeks. Six weeks, and she was amazing everyone with her ability and her intelligence. Her kinder teacher actually wrote and told me she felt Ve had above average intelligence. I feel the same way and that is why I didn’t like this decision so soon after starting school. Of course she is behind. Not only did she only have six weeks, but little school or stimulus during her six years prior to school. Again, of course she was behind!! So after some pushing and requesting by me, we have decided to bench this decision for now, and re-visit it again in June. I think then, after 4 ½ months of schooling, we will have a better feel for if we need to retain her. I also plan to enroll Ve and Mim in an English immersion summer school for six weeks that meets half days. It will do them a world of good.

We now have 2 volunteer translators in place that meets with Ve a few hours 4 days a week, plus Ve is working with her ESL (ELL) teacher a few hours every morning and she is in Title 1 reading. If she was doing well before, and she was, she will really take off now. I also have requested a SST meeting of all her teachers. The teachers will get together and discuss a common course of action for Ve and then follow through. If I for some reason don’t feel my requests are being taken serious, then I will start an IEP on her. I don’t think I will need to do that this year, because the teachers and staff know that I am a VERY active parent, and I believe the teachers really want to see Ve succeed. They have been so great. It was actually the main kinder teacher and Ve’s ESL teacher that told me I needed to now, take an assertive role in getting these services in place for Ve rather than the passive role I had initially took. I am glad I learned so much here, because now I feel I will jump in quicker once Mim comes home since I don’t have a lot of time to help her catch up in school. Yet, I do know Mim is further along in her studies, but I am not sure how that will translate into our USA schools.

I have a whole ‘nother post for a different day on Mim and my thoughts on her education someday!!!

Ve is speaking English so well that we can carry on a conversation and I can understand about 60 – 70% of what she wants me to know. I sometimes forget how far she has come in such a short time. She is definitely becoming more relaxed, and quite frankly so am I. The honeymoon between Tuks and Ve is over and they fight and love like sisters. Just this weekend they were both sitting behind the recliner in the living room playing house together. It was cute to observe and brought back memories of when my sister and I use to do that too.

4 comments:

Calico Sky said...

So glad that you are getting the support you & Ve need! I agree that 6 weeks is far too soon to make a plan for next year, hopefully by June there will be even more progression with her language, reading etc.

Thanks for including me with the blog going private!

Marta said...

Thanks for that update. It give me much to think about. I will be interested in your thoughts about Mim too, as I am in the boat. I swear, if they ever get home!!! I just worry about them being farther and farther behind, especially Ava Widmina.

Life in Fitzville said...

Way to go on being a vocal advocate for Ve.

Funny... my son was the same way in the beginning. His teacher was strict with him, but he got away with murder in the other classes like art and music. They told me they 'felt bad for him' and that he was 'just so cute'! I told them if they didn't discipline him that I would need to!

Leslie said...

That is fantastic! Great job at being an advocate for your daughter! I love to hear how you have put supports in place for her.

My Travels