"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Monday, September 3, 2007

New Day, New Year


Well today started out great. We went for a 4 mile run, then when we returned, I started cutting, peeling and coring apples to freeze. It was amazing how many apples I had to cut up in order to be able to freeze a little bit of it. I hope to turn the apples into filling come Christmas time and serve the pies at my annual family meal. We also played outdoors quite a bit and went for a 7+ mile bike ride tonight.

In addition, today I made breaded eggplant. Now, to understand how amazing this is, you need to know that I have never liked eggplant made by others nor have I ever cooked it myself before. BUT, today I tweaked a recipe and I breaded (this was the tweaked part) and baked the eggplant and it was FANTASTIC!!! This recipe, to my credit, pat on the back, is the 4th new recipe I have created out of tweaking (adding additional or different ingredients) existing recipes that I don't like. I just may create a cook book someday. Good way to raise money!!!

Yesterday Tuks and I along with cousin N and her parents went to another local fair. If you were at all counting we have 4 local fair in any given year. This year Tuks and I made 3 of the 4. She is quickly learning the the joy of rides and breaded cheese curds. I love them too.

Boy I just realized how many breaded things we ate this weekend, quite a bit considering we, like hardly never eat breaded or fried foods!!!

As for on the adoption front, it looks like things are going well this week for the 3 adoptive moms in Haiti, kids are adjusting well, and testing their boundaries, just like all kids do. It is fun to see the updates. Kids are also continuing to come home from Guatemala, even though there is much uprising and strife with the pending Hague Treaty being enforced.

Hope everyone had a GREAT Labor Day weekend. I feel refreshed, and am able to hit the ground running tomorrow morning.

I am ready to meet all my new students shinning faces tomorrow, who I just KNOW will be so eager for school to start for another year!!!

6 comments:

Calico Sky said...

Good luck with the new school year!

Jenn said...

Glad you're in better spirits today!!

Sarah said...

Mmmmm. . .eggplant is one of my favorite foods (and fried cheese curds are not too far behind!). Sounds good! I have to ask--what do you do to prepare your apples for freezing? Last year we canned--this year I'm thinking of freezing, but unsure what to do to keep them from browning.

Jane said...

I'm the only one who eats eggplant at my house. Sigh. But have you made ratatouille? I love it...eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes and onions. (no rodents like the movie!) Easy to make and tastes good hot or chilled.

Jane said...

By the way, what the heck is a fried cheese curd???
We deep fry Snickers bars and Twinkies at our state fair...

Jenn said...

ok, you American's eat some weird things!!!

My Travels