"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Nipping Biting in the Bud!!

Many people have asked how I stopped Tuki from biting. Well, first let me say she was just biting me whenever we would wrestle and rough house. I think she bit because she was overly excited. She has never, at least not that I am aware of, bit any other kid, or person for that matter.

I also want to say that this method worked for me and I am not advocating it as the method for all parents. But, with saying that, I also do believe every parent needs to find a way to stop inappropriate social behavior, such as biting. Remember I am a school teacher and I see all kinds of behaviors that probably weren't and should have been dealt with at a younger age.

I think I am pretty laid back with Tuks because I feel she needs to explore her world..it is again the science mind in me. Science first begins with curiosity and then exploration for explanation. I have witnessed many ..many people get all concerned with things Tuki plays with that in fact I let her play with it. Oh Yes, I am watching her, but I don't grab every little thing away that MAY be dangerous, (note I am not including any sharp objects in this anything).

With stating this, there are some actions that I react strongly and swiftly to stop them. One is biting. When she would bite me, I first attempted the "no biting", holding her hands, look her in the face etc., route..did no good. She would just get that "great I got a reaction from Mama, I'm going in for another bite" look, and yes indeedy, she'd bite me again. So, I decided that I needed to up the anty, and so when she would bite, I'd take my index and middle finger and tap (note: I said tap, not hit) her in the mouth and strongly say "no bite". This would make her stop and think a second or two, but then again she'd go in again for another bite. My next tap was a little harder and then I would overact and get angry, state again that "biting was naughty" and actually turn away from her, and then walk away..yes, sort of like if you are going to hurt Mama, then Mama doesn't want to play with you anymore. Subject closed, no more discussion. This would usually cause her to cry. This method only took a couple of times to convince her that biting was inappropriate.

I also did this over reacting when she tried to touch the hot stove, I showed her great displeasure, spoke loudly, and really relayed to her that under no circumstance is she to touch the stove, it was never a game to play. She hasn't tried since and she so far hasn't tried to bite me again either.

Take my methods for what they are worth..but please no flames if you don't agree.

What would I do if she was only biting other kids and NOT me, I will have to admit I don't really know since I have not been in that circumstance, and I wouldn't really know unless I found myself having to deal with it.. I know, not much help. Anyone else have ideas in this case???

5 comments:

Jenn said...

I think how you handled it was great. My oldest son was a bit of a biter. Never other kids but me if we were playing rough or if he was really angry. I tried the same thing, getting down to his level, making eye contact and firmly saying no biting. He would laugh.

I then tried to raise my voice a bit more while at his level. I also did the figer wave kinda thing at him. What did he do? He tried to grab and bite my finger. I kid you not.

So I did the unthinkable...i bit him back. Not hard or leaving a mark but just enough for him to get the point. He honestly never bit again.

I am not a fan of physical discipline, we don't spank and quite honestly have never felt the need to. But this was such a knee jerk reaction to being bitten.

veggiemom said...

Hmmm, I wonder if that would work with Ruby when she tries to pull my glasses off

My problem is when I try to stop Ruby from doing something, she always makes such funny faces that I end up laughing. Doesn't really help to get the point across. :(

Kerri and Ruby

Gail said...

I too think you did great!! As a daycare provider, I know that biting is terrible and can be so hard to stop.
We have to do what we have to do to keep our children safe and happy.
Gail

Kate said...

I think that I would do the same thing:) I am sorry she got bit at Day Care:( I hope it doesn't happen again. We HAVE to get together soon! I know you are so busy with CC but we haver to plan something. And if you ever need anyone to watch Tuki when you have CC PLEASE give me a call I would love to help:)

Story of our Life said...

Hun...this post hit home to me this week. The only problem...my son is FIVE~!!! He just started kindergarten and has NEVER bit anyone other than myself when nursing as a baby. Any ideas? I've posted it on my blog. I woud love to hear your thoughts. Gala

My Travels