"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Friday, May 18, 2007

Desires


Our new wheels

I had a conversation with an old acquaintance earlier in the week. She was telling how she was competing in the local triathlon, and wanted to enter into the Amazing race etc., I listened to her and was interested because just a few short years ago I had done many of these same things when I was her age..the upper 30's. I did them then because I am always up for a challenge and since I was not busy being a mother or wife these were good activities to become involved in between my travels, home building, and gardening.

This friend of mine is also not married nor does she have children. I couldn't help but listen to her with a heavy heart. No, I didn't know for sure why she was active in these type of sports, because when I had been, I remember encouraging her to get involved, but she had no interest, yet now she was full thrust into it all. What I do know, is that being married and becoming a mom are two of her dreams she longs to be fulfilled.

I guess my heavy heart was me relating her situation to why I had done them, Yes, it was fun, yes I was actually competitive, but I always knew it was "fillers" for me while I waited to obtain my dream of "some day" of becoming a mom. I didn't always have this dream, or least so intensely, but as I grew older, I felt my time was running out and I still wanted to be a mother along with all the career and travel goals I had accomplished. And yes, I had hoped I'd marry, especially the man I had been "seeing" at the time, but he wasn't what he proclaimed to be and failed to fulfill his promises and so I gave up hope of ever fulfilling the marriage dream, or I should say, at least with him.

But I realized another thing in listening to her, and that was the dawning that for right now, I am content in "just being" with my daughter. Enjoying each and every discovery, milestone, conversation, smile, and walk or run with her. I enjoy spending time with my daughter. It is not a chore, I do not feel like I need a "night out" break. I look forward to our relaxing evenings jaunting around the neighborhood, and yes someday when she is older, we will broaden our jaunts further and further away. My life has become richer and deeper since she entered it. I don't desire the "fillers" anymore.

p.s. Now that I am feeling a tiny bit better I will attempt to get some pictures this weekend.

2 comments:

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I am with you. I am so happy just puttering around the back yard with my boys. Praise God!

Calico Sky said...

I have a friend like this, she is 41 1/2 longs to be married and a mum. She has the most hectic crazy schedule of anyone I know - all it does is mask the lonilinesss. I go back and forth about whether she should adopt. She says no because she isn't married...*sigh*!

My Travels