"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Meanderings



Notice her fat lip??

We have three modes of transportation that allows me to exercise while getting Tuki to her play grounds. Her little red wagon, stroller (actually 2 types, walking and running) and bike and trailer. So far, we have discovered four playgrounds within 1 - 2 miles from our home. Many people have stated to me that I should set up a swing set in my yard, but I say why, when so many are so close. I'm sure with more exploration of our city we will find even more before the summer is over.


When we were out tonight we were caught in a rain shower.... and it hasn't rained a drop since we have been home.


When I was in the middle of Owl's adoption process, a nice elderly woman, whom had adopted two of her children, asked me why I had wanted to be a mother. It is a difficult question to answer, and I often wonder why this question isn't posed to parents that have children biologically,but for some reason we adoptive parents are open game for number of invasive type of questions...but anyway, she had said to me that one of the reasons that should NOT be a reason to parent a daughter is that " I wanted to dress her up like a little doll". I was rather amused by it at the time, because it was apparent that she didn't know me well AT all. One of my greatest struggles that I have dealt with is to find nice looking clothes that match to dress Tuki in on a daily basis. I would say she never looks like a doll, but rather a child that runs Au natural most of the time. Sometimes I don't even get her hair combed before noon on my days off, and this is after six hours of wake time. It's not that I am lazy, it's just not that important to me and it certainly isn't that important to her. She likes to just play and have fun, so I allow her as much as I can, with guidance and boundaries. I see other adoptive parent's blogs with daughters, and they always look so pretty in their dresses and bows, and I can't help but wonder...do they only take blog pictures when they look so nice, or do they always look so nice....just wondering...........


Well you may think I am a bad mom for posting this, but tonight when Owl was walking in the kitchen, she took a digger. One minute she was walking and then then the next minute she was face down, belly down, legs and arms spread wide flat on the floor. I had to stifle a laugh, but then she started crying and I picked her up for cuddling and assessment and noticed a fat lip. She may have bit it... but I still thought it looked funny..remember I grew up in the 3 Stooges era, slap stick humor, and yes I love(d) the show. She is better now as the picture can attest to.

Today the ugly tantrums reared their ugly heads. I guess it will be like that. Some days nothing, and then somedays it runneth over..................

2 comments:

Sarah and Tim said...

I will say that all the while, the pictures of my girls hair look somewhat nice, this is certainly not the case. They are bi-racial and it is a very time consuming project to "fix" their hair. Many days they have huge fro's that are constantly in their faces. Don't worry, if her hair isn't ever done up in pretty bows, you are giving her something awesome, and that is a childhood without the burden of judgements! Go MOM for allowing her to be natural and who she is. Soon enough, she will not be able to do this without comment, my oldest (12) is learning this.

Ericka said...

Cindy,
I think you are the perfect mom for Tuki. It's why I love reading your blog so much, we are very similiar in parenting (of course I have three boys.....) but running around OUTSIDE with nature is very much a part of our lifestyle as well and very important (to me) for little ones. Playing and a relaxing home life is a perfect environment for your little one. She is thriving and it's not becuase she's "dressed up!"

My Travels