"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Tuesday, May 1, 2007

My Parents- A GREAT Legacy


December 31, 2006. Family and friends in attendance the day Owl was dedicated to the Lord.

I have been gaining strength in my decision from my parents and God. Yes, I know my parents are deceased, but I have been thinking a lot about their life, and our (me & siblings) life with them. They always thought BIG, at least Dad did and then he convinced Mom to embrace his dream as well. I must mention here that my Mom died when she was 50 due to a 15 year battle with cancer, I was 20 going on 21, then my Dad died nine years later of a massive heart attack when he was 58, and I was 29 going on 30. So I have technically been alive longer without my Mom in it then I was with her in it. That is a little weird to think about. But they left me with a great legacy.

At times like this, when I do ruminate about their lives I see two people who worked hard, helped out anyone who needed an extra hand, or home, loved God, believed in honesty and keeping their word no matter what it cost them. If they promised, they delivered. For example, they were people who woke without complaining in the middle of the night for a complete stranger if they needed to get a pull from a ditch, or hired a blind man because he couldn't get work elsewhere, or brought people home for dinner if they just recently moved in the area and didn't have any friends close by. They also raised 5 kids whose ages were within a 10 year span. When they bought the farm I grew up on, it was rather small, but over the years, and again hard work it eventually became a 500 acre, 100 cow dairy farm. I remember my Dad saying that when he started making progressive changes to the farm, the local neighbors would "nay say" his projects and then say he was crazy. They also, said it would never be possible to reach what he had envisioned. Guess what, the dream became a reality, and eventually people all around respected them and what they stood for. I find strength in that. I feel empowered to embark on this new journey of mothering three children because I saw my parents do the same exact thing well before I ever thought of doing something that feels so right, yet frightening and yes I know difficult too. The other day, my best friend and sister asked me what I was planning for their college, and I just laughed, and said "right now all I am thinking about is the attaching process strategies, there will always be time to plan for their college. First I want to work on becoming a family."

I also think BIG. I know where I get it from. If I can envision it, I work towards it. But, lately I have also been spending alot of time in prayer, and on my knees asking God for the wisdom, resources, strength, and guidance to raise these kids as he has planned for them. Stepping out in faith has put me literally and figuratively on my knees before God seeking him, just him for his strength. Do I think this is God's will, you bet, he wants all his children to want him and seek him and I am now again doing just that after too many years of thinking I can do it all on my own. My parents couldn't do it alone and neither can I. A GREAT legacy indeed!!!!

Thank you Mom and Dad, you were the best!!!!

3 comments:

Jane said...

What a nice tribute to your parents. Sounds like they were exceptional people!
My mother died a few years ago and I often wonder what she would think about the events in my life that led me to adopt as a single mom. But like you, I had a great example of a super parent who overcame many obstacles as she raised 3 daughters alone.
Thanks for sharing your story. You really are an inspiration.

Ericka said...

What an inspirational post on so many levels.
Thank you for sharing.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

You are absolutely right. And God is always with us. God's grace is sufficient.

My Travels