"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Purpose for Everything



What Good Are Mosquito's???
They are huge food source for songbirds, bats and dragonflies..so I really don't hate them, we (me & Skylar) just have to learn to love bug dope on a daily basis....

Thank you for your concern over Tuki's reaction. I should clarify what I meant when I said that the Dr. said nothing could be done. He meant nothing, but daily application of bug dope, to prevent an allergic reaction in the future. I wanted a drug that would prevent any sort of reaction from occurring at all, ever again. I guess there is no such miracle drug. This current one, over the eye is about the fifth time she has had one since she came home last May. All the others have been behind her ears, or on her limbs. The first time I saw it happen was when she was 9 months old. My Ped recommended putting her on a low dose of Claratin to prevent it from occurring in the future, ever again. You see I wanted something easy. So since April she has been taking a low dose each morning. But as you can see it didn't help. So this time, a new Dr., also well respected and well liked switched her to Benadryl, 1 tsp four times daily while she is swollen and yes she is also on oral antibiotics three times each day. He also prescribed hydrocortizine to put on a new bite to hopefully prevent the swelling. But I can't use it now because the one over her eye is now an open wound that is oozing a little. Good thing, because it hasn't gotten any worse and her attitude is good which leads me to believe that she feels better.

This new Dr and I were talking and wondering why, with Owl being born in Guatemala, a tropical country, that her genes passed down from her ancestors haven't adapted to resist the bug bite toxin. It makes me think that her genes have adapted over time for the toxin in the bugs found in Guatemala, but the toxin in the bugs found in the northern Midwest must be different thereby causing this reaction. I can't help but think with these severe reactions that eventually her body will have the antibodies to resist the new strain of toxin. I hope my thinking is correct.

There were twin girls with sickle cell anemia needing a home from the same orphanage where Hawk resides. They have thankfully found a home, but their illness led me to research why sickle cell anemia was so prevalent in the black population but not in other ethnic populations. So this is what I found out..
Malaria, a deadly disease carried in mosquito's found in the tropics, kill millions of individuals each year. Well it has been discovered that over time the black (more melanin in the skin to protect from the direct sun rays) population which originated near the tropics, that had the disease sickle cell anemia, were more resistant to Malaria, thereby surviving to pass on those genes to their off-spring... and then of course through immigration and emigration, and also unfortunately slavery sickle cell anemia is now found through out the world where ever you find populations of black people. Interesting isn't it. It was once an advantage to have this illness, but now a great disadvantage.

3 comments:

Jane said...

Cindy, I just caught up on your postings since Sunday. I think you've experienced what we in the South call "Baptism by fire" this week in the parenthood department! Poor baby girl. I hope she's looking AND feeling better tonight. Those photos brought tears to my eyes. Hang in there...
Living in FL, we are constantly fighting the 'skeeters here, too. We use the Avon Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus - it doesn't have Deet (?) but it does have SPF 15 sunscreen built in. I'm not real familiar with the active ingredients, but it SAYS that it's gentle enough for the whole family.

Anonymous said...

Hello!!!!
welcome to my blog!!!
thank you!!!

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Oh poor baby! I hope that gets easier to deal with as she gets older... maybe she will develop a resistance?

My Travels