"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Luck of the Draw






Life in Haiti-the unlucky ones...maybe we can help.......

{http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqTLu_ZKXm0} Part 1

{http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYKDZP3-2-4}Part 2

{http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTj849CFPT4}Part 3

I thought about my last post....AND

Did anyone see the irony in my last post? I was talking about Hawk's birthmom and how she had no way to support her children, and then I went on to my small insignificant problem..finding back-up daycare.

Two Moms 2000 miles apart.

One in Haiti who has four children, all boys, she appears to be about mid 30's, and quite beautiful. If she is in her 30's she has about another 10 - 15 years left to her life since the life span is around 45 in Haiti. She has no means to support herself, so she goes to the market to sell plantain to help care and feed her children. Maybe she has an education level through 6th grade, I say maybe.. She is so desperate that she knows her youngest child will be better cared for, and have many more opportunities available by growing up with another woman (whom he will eventually call Mom), in another country. This woman in Haiti has little to no options, no choices. Yet so much love for her children.

Another woman, lucky enough to be born in the USA. A woman who has one child. She had the finances and opportunity available to her so that she could grow her family through adoption. She is in her early to mid 40's. She has anywhere from 20 to 40 more years to her life span. She has a Master's degree, a good, secure job and she has the good fortune to own her own home for 14 years located on 1 1/2 acres. While she goes to work she takes her child to daycare so that her daughter is well fed, educated and nurtured. She is adding to her family again by adopting the Haitian woman's youngest son. She has many choices and many options. And again, so much love for her children.

I say life is the Luck of the Draw...I thank God every day that I was drawn in the lucky hand, and I ache for the others not so lucky...

1 comment:

Andromeda Jazmon said...

How heartbreaking. I visted Haiti while in college, doing a service project. The injustice of the grinding, relentless poverty is just unbelievable. It's not right that our world is this way. There must be more we can do... but I don't know what. Your compassion for Gabe, his mother and his family is inspiring.

My Travels