"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Monday, May 7, 2007

You Should See the Other Guy


This is her yesterday afternoon.


This is her this morning.


This is her tonight.


..I wish the other guy looked as bad as Tuki does. So this morning her face was all swelled up from the mosquito bite. I took her to daycare and then called the Dr's and made an appointment for this afternoon. Before I left school my daycare provider called to tell me that her eye was now completely swollen shut....remember she also has another oozing bug bite behind her right ear.

So we see the Dr., and guess what...there is NOTHING..NOTHING that can be done for her reactions..no miracle drug to prevent the swelling and then eventually oozing. No she is just a kid that happens to have SEVERE reactions to bug bites because of her age and thin skin. He thinks she should grow out of it by the time she is around 3 when kid's skin starts thickening up......I guess I have to keep her sprayed 24/7 when outside..because remember I live next to a mosquito nursery. My water table is 1/2 to 1 1/2 feet below ground level. It doesn't take much to cause standing water..incubators for mosquito nymphs. Of all my worries prior to her coming home, for some reason this just wasn't on my radar....

I was also surprised by my reaction to when I saw her swollen eye. First I smiled a little and then I welled up with tears. I felt so bad for her, and my gosh I have never felt this depth of love for anyone or anything before. Just that feeling alone wore me out. It is so hard to grow and become a better person that lives and breathes based on the happiness of a little Tuki....

By the way she was also 27 1/4 lbs (90%) and 33 1/4 inches (100%) at 17 mos. and 1 week. Does that make her too heavy????? Should I worry about this too??? Can you tell I am a first time Mom??? I am going to ask about changing her from whole milk to 2% at her 18 month appointment. She loves her milk!!!!!

You know I usually am so much more rational than I have been the last few weeks..maybe I am entering menopause, or maybe God is healing me from my frozen state and I am feeling more emotions than I have in a VERY LLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG time.

2 comments:

Ericka said...

OH that poor baby!!!!! I did the same thing, first I chuckled, then I felt terrible!!
Don't worry about her weight or whole milk vs. 2%. I'm just so glad she likes her milk!!!! The Dr. may switch her, but she needs all that fat up until and a little beyond 2 for brain development.
She looks fantastic.

Calico Sky said...

POOOOR baby - I am sure it looks worse than it was, but holy!

My Travels