"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The answer is MARIGOLD..but what was the question?


Taken by another visiting adoptive parent.

Many subjects and thoughts have been whirling around in my mind about what I'd like to blog about. It usually happens during my morning run. Oh yeah, I started running again after a 3 month hiatus. I figured it's time since cross country season is right around the corner. The problem with the thoughts is that I usually forget them by the time we arrive home. Speaking of forgetting things... it took me 3 days to remember the word marigold for the flower. I would look at it and say, now what is the name of that flower again. It finally came to me while I was falling asleep one night. Scary!!!!!!!!

What I'd like to talk about is Panda. I'd like to talk honestly from my heart. If you struggle with my words, I apologize, but just remember I am growing and I will become a better person with each passing day, because my kids are counting on it.

When I went to three countries in Africa 7 years ago, like I had mentioned in an earlier post, I traveled with 14 other people. What struck me on that trip is that I never felt white among all the native Africans. I remember wondering why I didn't feel similar to what I have heard black people say they feel in America. I never did figure that out. I have also been to Guatemala twice and Mexico once. Again I never felt white. Was it that I was so accustomed to being the majority that I never questioned my stance? I don't really know....

But, what I do know is that when I went to Haiti, I went alone. The first time I have traveled alone to another country in which I was the minority. I felt WHITE. On the plane to, in the country, and the plane ride back, I was the minority. Plus I didn't speak the language. So I had a hard time communicating with others. We did manage, but I really, no we (meaning whom ever I was talking to) had to work at it.

What struck me when I met Hawk and then Panda, was that in Haiti, they blended in. One among many. In America, especially where I live, Panda will stand out. She will be noticed strictly based on the color of her skin because our black population in our town is around 1.5%. She will be stared at and we as a family will be stared at. I admit I will struggle with this for awhile and probably even become angry at times. Among all the other emotions surging through me in Haiti, that was one I was and still am wrestling with.

My doctor that I have been seeing for 17 years, was originally born in Jamaica. He has married a Caucasian woman and they had two children. I had both in my classroom. During my physical for Panda's adoption, I asked him how much racism he and his family felt in our town. He said it is there all the time. He assured me angry feelings will be the norm for quite some time. He also said I need to teach my kids to be proud in who they are, what they look like and teach them to realize that they are more than the image that other people want to place on them. Teach them to be stronger than the words and actions hurled at them. Good suggestions, now how do I do that..I hope it will come to me as the situation arises.

It is a big, scary and unworn path for me. I have been working at it already, but I have a feeling that the path as a parent will have many unforeseen twists and turns. I know God will equip me to parent my children, I just pray that I listen real closely to what he is saying.

Even now I find myself crying over different situations that I feel I handled poorly with Tuki, and we're not even dealing with any big stuff yet. It is times like these that I really miss my parents. They could and would give me and my children suggestions and support.

4 comments:

Sarah and Tim said...

As a parent of Bi-racial children, I can completely understand where you are coming from. I just want to pass along an encouraging word. That is if someone looks at you and assumes that you have had multiple partners, that is on them and their ignorance. If they look at you like trash, show otherwise, if they are rude to your children, kill and I mean kill them with respect and kindness. Sort of being the bigger person. This may sound strange, but I have been there done that. You have to show them that what they are thinking or saying is ridiculous. Most times, people will feel really stupid and rude after you have come back incredibly nice. My favorite question is "are they yours?" I always reply with well, are your children yours? or "are they sisters?" again, I reply "yes, what would make you think otherwise?" generally they don't say much else....I hope through out all this, God will show you that it is only he that you are here for, Not the opinions of others.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

This is such a hard thing to struggle with. I think (hope) we never stop growing through it. The anger issue is big with me. Not only stranger's reactions and possible anger, but mine and my son's. It is a big window for grace, that's certain.

Sarah said...

Your worries so echo my own. . .I already struggle with the constant adoption questions and negative comments, "When will you bring them home? Really? A year or more? That's so ridiculous--what's wrong with that country? " Sigh. I used to look at it as an opportunity to educate, but honestly, now I'm just tired of talking. I think the wait is getting to me, and it's exhausting at times. Now I'm struggling with what to say when people ask me about our boys' parents---I feel it's very private and personal, and it's not my place to share--and it's hard not to seem rude about it in answering. I'm such a mama bear already and they're not even here--I can only imagine what it will be like when they're here and I can encounter these questions. I like the comment that it's a big window for grace--what truth there is in that!
-Sarah C.
waiting for her two Haitian sons

Calico Sky said...

Marigold is a lovely name!

My Travels