"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Haiti-Beauty among Thorns

Enjoy your Independence day!!!!
Not all nations have the freedoms that we take for granted..................

Haiti-Port au Prince



















In 2000, I traveled for nearly 1 month along with 14 others between the countries of Uganda, Ghana and Ethiopia of Africa. It was a bittersweet time. Haiti was a similar experience for me. I could easily see the influence of western Africa in Haiti*. The airport set-up at arrival, the architecture of the buildings and streets, the armed guards at the hotel gate, the heat, humidity, the friendliness and love of the people, the smiles among suffering. It all felt familiar. I felt comfortable the whole trip. The only part that I was a little shell-shocked at was the orphanage. Not because there was anything wrong, it was just that I have never been to one before. It was hard to see so many children with such big hearts without homes. I guess I kept imagining Tuki there and it was hard for me to process.

Because of this and how quickly time went, I wasn't able to accomplish all I wanted and had promised to other adoptive parents. In addition, time in Haiti is slow. What we may plan to do in an hour, it will take several hours there. It is just their way of life and it is important to "morph" into other countries lifestyle while visiting. We are the visitors and as Americans I feel it is important to respect other counties customs by following them while there, and not try and change them.

*The current Haitian population are descendants of western Africans shipped to the island of Haiti during the time of slavery. Haiti was the first country that became a free nation from the bondage of slavery.

5 comments:

Sarah and Tim said...

wow, Enjoy your 4th and together we can remember and respect our feedom.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Beautiful pictures. I love way you captured the bright red and blue colors mixed in with the gray dust. These bring back memories of when I visted Haiti in 1981.

Sarah and Tim said...

Yes, he is Haitian. We are adopting him from Three Angels Orphanage Relief. He will be 1 in September. I am sooo excited.

Anonymous said...

WOW! What a trip!! I really love the pictures. I will be praying for you and "hawk"!! God is good and we have to believe that God has a plan, a good plan for "hawk"!!!! Panda is beautiful and you are so blessed to have 2 beautiful daughters!!! I pray that you are all together very soon.

Not Betty Crocker said...

Beautiful post. Thanks for sharing.

Lila

My Travels