"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Monday, July 16, 2007

We are Proud!!




MY NEPHEW!!! Not only a great runner, but a great person as well!! His parents my brother, and his ex-wife S did a GREAT job raising C and their daughter M. In addition to many other admirable qualities, Both kids know how to work hard for what they want, as well as being kind and considerate to others.

July 16th, 2007
S Runs Great 3000m in Sheffield; 8th Fastest American

C S ran 7:36.90 - a 15-second PR - on a cold, rainy night in Sheffield, UK. His time, the 8th fastest ever by an American, was good for third place behind Kenenisa Bekele and Craig Mottram at the Norwich Union Grand Prix meeting. "I didn't have a particular time in mind coming into the race," S said afterwards. "I just wanted to be competitive and run faster than my PR." As the youngest athlete in the field, he ran with poise despite a pace much faster than any he's ever carried in a 3000m race. "I think the fastest I've ever come through the mile is 4:11. Tonight I was 4:03 and felt comfortable."

After the brisk first mile, the pack splintered into two groups; S hung onto the back of the front pack. At 2K the pacesetter veered off, and at the same moment Bekele made his move, quickly gapping the pack by 20 meters. S continued to work his way up, moving into third place with 500 meters to go. It appeared that he was closing on Mottram, but with 250 meters to go, Mottram looked back and dug down for another gear. "Man, in retrospect I wish I had gone a little earlier," he said back at the hotel. "I don't know if I could have caught him, but there's definitely more there."

C's next race will be a 5000m in Heusden on July 28th. He'll be joined by teammates Simon Bairu and Tim Nelson; Matt Tegenkamp will be racing the 1500m at the same meet.

Check out his interview below:
http://www.blip.tv/file/304943/

2 comments:

Sarah and Tim said...

This is wonderful. Congrats!

Calico Sky said...

Oh wow! Had I known I would of cheared him on here!!

My Travels