"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Luckiest Person in the World


Too cool for her own good..............

Tonight while Tuki and I were swinging together and I was humming "Green sleeves",or also known as the "Elsa, the Lion" song, and she had her head nestled into my chest, I couldn't help but think that I am the luckiest person in the world. Earlier this spring I was trying so desperately in attempting to keep up with the weeds in my perennial beds, but then when I returned home from our vacation, I realized that I did not want my time consumed with weeding, and having to constantly tell Tuki, "not now" for playing because I was working. So I gave up again, for the second year in a row on the weeds, and I am totally OK with it. I may even mow the gardens over in a year or two if I feel like it is too much pressure.

I have wanted to be a mother for so long, and now I am, and I want to create long lasting memories in which she will say "my mom and I did....." with fondness. Sometime next year Panda will be home, and then Tuki will need to learn to share me, so I also want this year to be our quality time year. Just her and me doing as many things together as we can. Not only have I become use to the slower pace of a 20 month old, but I actually enjoy it. She will remember our time together, but I doubt that the gardens will mean much to her.

I was asked by a fellow blogger if I think Tuki will like an older sister. That is a great question because as we have been jet setting about town, we have run into many kids of all ages, and I have noticed that she tends to migrate towards older girls, so over time I have become more convinced that yes, she will enjoy an older sister, but no doubt will struggle with the sharing after she realizes that "this kid" is here to stay....

as a side note, I will concentrate only on vegetable gardening for a few years, until the kids are to the age where they don't/won't want so much time with me, but until then bye bye gardens.........except gourds of course

4 comments:

Jane said...

Thanks for your comment earlier! It's nice to have something to celebrate.
I had a thought about your gardens...could you compromise and maybe have more plants that require less maintenance? I'd hate for you to give up something that you seem to enjoy so much! And maybe you'll make some of those childhood memories with your girls IN the garden! Just a thought.
Vegetables are good. We used to plant a little plot at the pre-school where I worked in college. Little kids will actually EAT what they grow and pick themselves!

Jenn said...

My youngest kids are the same way, they always gravitate towards the older kids. They watch them in awe and try and copy everything they do. Cute sometimes, not so cute other times...LOL

Sarah and Tim said...

I am so happy for you and your current daughters! I just know from your blogs, that they will say "my mom and I/WE/US did________" You know how to focus on the important and let the unimportant go, this is great!

Life in Fitzville said...

What a great post! I love those moments that hit you like that, when you look around and realize how cool life has turned out!

My Travels