"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Sunday, July 8, 2007

Fun in the Sun-but be warned!!

For three days in a row, Tuki has gone swimming. Two at the swim park with her cousins M & N, and once at the river while canoeing. She loves the spray spouts. I think she could have spent, actually I think she did spend most of time playing with them.

But in addition to all the fun I have a warning for all parents. I am sure we all have heard about the dangers of drowning for little ones. Well Tuki could have been a statistic, but Thank God it didn't happen. Tuks and her cousin N were playing in 1'6" water about 5' away from me, cousin M and Aunt M. Well, Tuki lost her footing, and she fell face forward into the water. Her head bobbed down once, then back up, yet her face never broke the water surface, at this point I am on my way to her, then her head bobbed down and again up..not breaking surface, then down again..the third time her head bobbed up, I had grabbed her and pulled her out. This whole thing maybe lasted 1- 2 seconds, but I will tell you time slowed down to almost quitting while it was occurring. It was easy to see how toddlers drown. They are so top heavy, that once they lose their footing, they are never able to pull their face out of the water.

She was no worse for the wear after this episode, but I was shook to my core therefore,

Needless to say, there is now a rule in our household:
Life jacket on until she learns to swim.


















































3 comments:

Jane said...

That's SCARY just to read about it! Good thing you're so vigilant with her.

Gail said...

I am so glad your little sweetie is okay. You must have been scared out of your wits.
Gail

Sarah and Tim said...

My family and I were at the YMCA swimming just a couple of months ago, and the same thing happened to my 1 1/2 year old. THis is a very scarey thing! I am so happy that she is ok. Love, Sarah

My Travels