"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Confession - I am a Worrier

I would have never thought that about myself until I became a parent...but maybe the truth is I am just REALLY good at denying stress that I am feeling...this is where I am learning, slowly, to let things I can't change over to God.

Well yesterday was just an interview with me. So I guess now I wait for the actual evaluation of Tuki. We may even do a hearing test, just because it is available. I know if I was just patient, she will explode in her language, but I find, surprise to me, that I worry at each of her milestones. But, in my argument she has been at the high end of the averages for each. Of course adding to my anxiety. She crawled at 10 1/2 months, walked at 15 1/2 months, so why would I think she would start talking early. She probably speaks between 20 - 25 words, inconsistently. She is just now exploring with running and she is almost 20 months. She will take a digger now and then because her toes trip her up.

Yet, at the same time her fine motor skills and comprehension of what I tell her is amazing. In the morning I ask her to bring me my running shoes (she likes to help me), and she brings me the correct shoes. She will also get her sippy out of the refrigerator and then close the door, open the door to the vacuum when I tell I am vacuuming, attempt to pull it out (too heavy), but then pull out the head of the vacuum and close the door. I can ask her to do a two to three step action and she follows through really well. She likes to put things together and take them apart. She can spend 30 mins. or more doing something like that.

She learned "time out" for hitting real quickly!! I say let's change your diaper, let's put on your pj's and up the stairs she heads...She is also starting to sing her "ABC's"

So I guess I am just a worrier..mainly is there something more I should be doing to help her along. Anyway...enough rambling..

As for an update on Hawk, another family has been approved to go ahead and add him to their family along with an older sister, also at the orphanage. YEAH. God certainly has his hand on that little boy.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

She sounds like she is right where she is supposed to be. My youngest was a bit slower on all those developmental milestones. He crawled at 10 months, walked at 14.5 and he only said a few words by a year and a half. Now at three he talks non-stop and is no different than any of his little buddies that walked so young and according to their parents, were geniuses!

When we assess a baby at work we like to say by 18 months they should have a vocabulary of about 20 words, by 2 they should be able to put 2 words together, " my cup".

Welcome to the world of worry, a.k.a. motherhood!!

lori shepler - said...

love reading your blog, please keep it up!

lori (http://fromourbunchtoyours.blogspot.com/)

Calico Sky said...

That is wonderful news about Hawk. Are things still progressing??

My Travels