"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Sunday, March 25, 2007

With all it faults America is still beautiful!!






"My Savior was, My Savior is, My Savior is always gonna be"
One of the songs we sang in church this morning. He was before I knew him, He is even when I am rebellious and sinful and he always will be no matter what people or mankind does. He just is!! Really quite powerful!!!
Forgiveness: giving up my right to hurt you,even though you hurt me first!!
My freedom to worship whom I want......

Update on Hawk: he is slowly improving, Please keep the prayers coming!! I have peace that he will be OK. His adoption is and has been led by God!!
My freedom to pray to whom I want..........

I love to grow gourds. All kinds of gourds. The problem is that I live in zone 4 for growing and they need, at least the biggies, need zone 5 and up for maximum growth. The biggies I have attempted are the small bushel and African kettle. Last year the small bushel germinated, and grew many gourds, but too late in the season and I had about 30+ softball size gourds freeze. So far I have not been able to germinate any African kettle gourds..but I will keep trying. This year I germinated my seeds on January 25th. Many sprouted, even 1 bushel. For awhile I had up to eleven plants. Now I only have five, 2 dipper gourds, 1 birdhouse and 2 apple gourd plants. I re-potted them Friday night, and almost wiped out the dippers, but they are still going strong. Everyone else looks good. Tuki helps me make sure they are doing well. sMurph helps to make sure they are doing well, but the dogs could care less.

Why do I grow gourds?? Because they can be crafted in many ways. I have attached a few examples from the Gourd Art Galleries web page, not done by me. I have also attached my gourds grown from last year. I want some day to not only be able to grow my canvas, but also create a work of art on my canvases. I'm not in a hurry, I plan to be working at this for years. There are tricks to growing them big enough, thick enough and wide enough for a decent canvas. I learn one new trick to get me a little closer each year. You could say I am obsessed about them. I don't know how it started, it just did, and now I am hooked. There are even Gourd Festivals across the USA. We are Gourdheads.

I am glad that I live in America so that I have the luxury of a hobby. I am fed, housed and warm, all my basic needs met, now I work on entertaining my mind with gourds, among many other activities.

I hope that my kids develop obsessions, maybe even like gourd growing. It makes life so much more interesting. It means their basic needs have been met.

I hope you had as great a weekend as we did!!! Heard and saw sandhill cranes, killdeer, and robins. Still no chipmunks or Phoebes, but I have a hunch that this is the week!!!

My freedom to enjoy the great outdoors and thankful that we have outdoors left to enjoy.

What is your obsession??

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My obsession? Canoes and cabbage!

Sarah and Tim said...

Really, I am not sure, I love children, and cannot wait to adopt my 5th child. I don't dream or catch myself thinking of anything else! I know to some this is really silly, but its what I love more than anyting, my current children and future children.

Aves @ Call of the Phoebe said...

Sarah,

It is not silly at all. That's one of the neat things about people, all the diversity in who we are and what we love. I obsess about Tuki and future children as well. Along with too many other obsessions.

Cindy S.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

What a need hobby! I obsess over knitting, quilting, haiku, photography, reading, gardening, food, blogging, and my kids. Not in that order and not all at once, of course... LOL

My Travels