"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Family Traditions




There is a tradition in our family, that is not really a tradition, at least not something we have spoken of, it is just something my parents had done to me and my siblings, and now I see we have carried it down to our children. It is the gentle hand/wrist rub. My sister does it with her daughter, and I have seen my brother do it with his daughter as well, and now I also gently rub Owl's hands and wrists. I do not know how it originally started in our family, I just remember my father rubbing my hands and wrists. It is the most soothing and relaxing touch and usually done in the most intimate of circumstances; such as between lovers, and parents and children. When I first start rubbing Owl's hands, she will just lay silent, while joying it, and then suddenly look up at me and give me the biggest grin she could possibly make with her tiny mouth, and her eyes will light up with the brightest shine. I think somehow love is transferred between individuals that partake in this simple yet powerful touch.....

Today was a trouble shooting day.

First, I booked my flight tickets to Houston, TX, and then Haiti through Travelocity several weeks ago. Well last night they contacted me via email and stated there was a schedule change in my flights. The change was; OK ready for this..they had me arriving in Atlanta, GA, before I even left my original airport over 1000 miles away. I was a little TICKED off. So I called them and now instead of leaving at my initial time of 10:50 am, I am now leaving at 6:30 am...much earlier, and it will totally alter my plans for the day before my departure...Can they do that??? I guess so!! I stress every time I have to fly. It is not because I am afraid, it is due to twice in my life thus far, I have missed flights,and for some reason this has caused an irrational anxiety in me every time I fly.. making sure I make those connections just sends me over the edge. Now this time I will have Owl with me and still make the connecting flights...YIMEEEEE!!!!


Secondly, my home study agency sent my home study into the USCIS office before checking with me in where I wanted it sent and how I wanted it sent. You see I was planning on sending in my application and my home study in together to avoid them from becoming lost from each other. Well, what is the saying.."the best laid plans.." I quickly sent in my application after I found out they did this and now I pray that the USCIS office will be able to connect both pieces of mail. My application also needs to be sent into another state from which I live because I am actually closer to the other state. BUT my agency is use to sending most adoptive parents home study into the office nearest them. The agency did reassure me that they sent it to the correct office..I hope so. The nice thing about this agency is that they did send me a long apology and explanation email detailing the circumstances and misunderstanding. They really are a great agency, we just had a mix up in communication.

I will be most HAPPY,and calmer when the dossier is in Haiti. I won't be able to make anymore mistakes with the paperwork, it will be all up to Marie..the creche director to see it through..By the way, I hear she is really good at moving the paperwork through at a speedy pace. So it will be interesting to see how long the process actually takes. Hopefully less than one year........

I can't wait to hold and rub Gabryel's little hands and wrists...........soon, very soon..I just need to make those D--- connecting flights!!!!!

2 comments:

Sarah and Tim said...

Good luck with your flights! I will say a prayer that you don't miss the flights and that the beautiful angel you will be traveling with will be just that an angel, and not create any stress for you during this time. I am soooooooo excited to see how it goes in Haiti. I also was wondering if your baby was out of the hospital yet? I may have just missed this, but none the less, wondering if he is ok? Good luck and know that a prayer will be sent upward for you! Sarah Olson

Jane said...

That hand rubbing tradition is so sweet...you're making childhood memories that your children will remember and pass on to their children, too. Thanks for sharing that.

My Travels