"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Hardening of the Gourds




The photos were taken after we came in the house from being outside all afternoon. She was so dirty and happy so I just stripped her down to her diaper, and put on a clean t-shirt (from her friend E when he went to Africa..thanks), and she had a blast the rest of the evening!! The rosy cheeks are due to the fact that she is currently growing in FOUR teeth!!


This weekend was FANTASTIC!!! I put aside all my musings and stresses from the issues of adoption, raising children of color, next years schedule and took a mental break....I need it sometimes...especially after a really rough week.

The weather was perfect, we spent many hours outdoors. Yesterday, a morning with her cousin Natania and my sister at a kids function at the mall, nap and then we were outside at least 3 hours in the afternoon. I started doing yard work. First off I buildt a pretty temporary greenhouse for my five gourd plants. Eric walked around the yard and played with Tuki while I was attempting to assemble this cats-cradle/green house. It actually works well, except I really need one sheet of plastic instead of several. I set the gourds in it today and hope to continue to harden them off until late April to early May (weather permitting)..and then plant with the plastic cover as an added buffer against the cold and night chills. Yeah, my gourd babies are ready for their next step in life..makes me proud.

After the assembling of the cat-cradle, we took a long walk with the dogs and Tuki.

Then today, well first off, we didn't go to church this morning. I really wanted to hear the pastor's message, but with Owl's cold and both of us having a rough week, I decided we were just going to hang around the house all day, with no schedules in "having to be somewhere at a certain time". Just her and me. It was great. It was a good decision...

So after a early morning walk, Tuki played while I started raking off some of the yard and a couple of gardens. We spent over four hours outside,and the dogs were in
the pen for over six. They are zonked out right now. I LOVE the outdoors, and it appears she does too!!! Last year, I didn't do much with any of my gardens because it was the year that Tuki came home. In all my reading, it was stated that some things will not get done, so I decided it was the weeding that would not get done, and now this year I really have my work cut out for me. It will be a good time to get Tuki use to the whole gardening aspect of her Mama's life, and hopefully hers some day too.

So now we are relaxed, rested and almost ready to approach another week with enthusiasm and passion................

I hope you also had a gourd hardening fantastic weekend too............

No comments:

My Travels