"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Monday, April 23, 2007

Why I Blog



Just because she is so gosh darn cute!!!




I had to take today off from work. My daycare provider gets involved with the city trivia that draws in thousands. So she closed her doors on Friday (a friend of mine watched Skylar) and then also today. I was made aware of this many months ago so I scheduled a much overdue doctors appointment and stayed home with Tuki all day. We both enjoyed it, but like usual for me, the work-aholic that I am, I managed to get many other things accomplished. We went for a real long walk this am and saw wild turkeys by the river, cooked up some more food in the slow cooker, visited our neighbor, visited another friend that we hadn't seen since December, and picked up several piles of leaves. I gave Tuki one of those Fisher price cars that she can sit in and push around like the Flintstones (it was stored in my garage). Between fork fulls of leaves I'd push her around in it, and then other times she would play with it, by getting in and out. I think she kept herself occupied for at least two hours with that car (another rummage sale find).

One bird I noticed a lot today while we were walking this morning and then in my yard, was the Chipping sparrows. They were vocal, and zipping all around the yard. So I looked up their mating season and guess what, it starts right now and peaks in May...no wonder there was so much activity. They always set up nests throughout my yard and woods.

I decided to comment as to why I have started blogging. You see many of my friends and family have made off-handed comments to the effect that they think/thought it was dumb, that I had 'No life" because I blog or that they just didn't understand why any person would blog, or even that it is such a 20 year old thing to do. On the other side of things, many who have made these comments have then complimented me in the topics, and interest of the blog. So I guess I have made some into believers, or they are just being nice. I accept both options as valid.

So why do I blog:
1. I have learned many things about parenting from other people's blogs,
such as; serve food in a plate to toddlers instead of a bowl, that way they
tip them over less often because they can see the food better. Also when
Owl ripped the skin attachment from her upper lip that connects to her top
gum, I didn't panic, just stopped the bleeding and knew it would grow back.

2. The blog makes me think about writing. I have always thought that I had a children's book inside me somewhere, but felt it would never be able to materialize because I hat(ed) writing, but this blog has stimulated my creative juices and now I am thinking of writing about topics. There are still many days that I struggle in coming up with topics, but then on other days it is much easier.
3. It is a way of sharing pictures, milestones and stories about my kid(s). I use to bombard family and friends with periodic emails about all this, but I never really knew if they cared a to see them or not, so now I have sent the blog address out and if they want to know they can read it on line, if not then they don't. I'm not such a pest this way.
4. The comradely of those who are in the process or have gone before me in the whole adoption process. If you haven't adopted, you just can never fully understand, but finding allies in the adoption world for pre-adoption, in process and post adoption issues is vital. We are not alone.

Now the question remains; How long will I continue this blog?

I'm not completely sure, I would guess until I don't like the idea of writing in it anymore. I would hope well past the time Hawk comes home, because the topic of single parents deciding on adopting another child is always brought up in the adoption world. Maybe my experience "on-line" may give some people guidance as to whether to add to their family. Or maybe not.

3 comments:

Sarah and Tim said...

Great thoughts! Turki is very cute. Enjoyed the blog, keep it up, dying to hear all about your next adoption experience!

Ericka said...

I love my on-line adoptive friends - I've learned SO much!!! I esp love your blog, your daughter is adorable and it makes us hopeful adopters see that they DO come home! Also, I'm just one state away from you and love your observations of nature also. Speaking of, I'm trying to attract Orioles this year, keeping my fingers crossed!
How is your baby boy doing?
Ericka

Jane said...

Well I for one, hope that you will continue to write for a long time to come! I do enjoy reading your parenting experiences and I feel like I'm learning a lot about nature, too.
BTW, I have (just) one special rock, too! It's from a natural spring in the Smokey Mountains. And I have special sand dollars and sea shells that I have collected from beaches in the US and Spain!

My Travels