"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Stuck at a Crossroad




I haven't been able to sleep lately, and then this morning I woke at 4:00am, and couldn't fall back to sleep. What is the problem you ask...well you see my social worker approved me for a total of 2 children in addition to Skylar, who of course is already at home. So I have already committed to Hawk and I have been thinking, and thinking and thinking...I could on and on and I am still undecided as to what to do. Maybe you can help me.

First I have to say, I asked the sw to approve me for two children because I have in my heart and soul this unshakable feeling that we are at least a four person (3 children, 1 adult family). I say at least four because one never knows if Mr. Prince Charming comes along and well you know the rest of the story. Now that I am approved, I am terrified of many things, I'd like to share them and hopefully I will feel better, and maybe you may have a suggestion or two.

Why I am afraid:
1.My friends and family will think I am crazier than they already do.
2.Once the children come home, if I hit a rough patch or two, which of course I will, my friends and family will just say "this was your decision" or "I told you not to do this" (Which they haven't because I haven't told them my thoughts yet because of point #1). Unless of course they read this blog.
3. Can a single parent successfully parent 3 children.
4. The third child will have to be school age, so there is a greater chance of issues, or should I say bigger issues.
5. I hate being afraid, I don't like not doing something because I am afraid, for logical reasons yes, afraid no.
6. Can I stay financially fluid for the next 3 years. I know it will be a piece of cake once the two little ones are out of day care, but that is three more years after Gabe comes home.
7. Working on attachment bonding with two children as well as spending quality time with Tuki.

Why I like the idea of adopting two at this time.
1. I don't want to go through the paperwork and wait process again. I don't like it, and I pushed through this time for Owl (sibling(s)), me, wanting to parent a family, not just one child.
2. I am getting older and I feel it would be easier to go through one big adaption transition with two children and then we will all settle in over time (not sure how long, depends on the kids) and then not go through the initial stages again. New stages, YES, transition stage no.
3. Both children of Haiti will have a connection and feel connected with the other of like color in a town that is not very diverse. The black population is considerably smaller than the Hispanic population in our town, not that it is very big either.
4. Skylar loves, LOVES, other children of all ages.
5. I am irresistibly drawn to a particular six year old girl. Two times other families have considered her. I was happy for her and yet sad for myself in that I wouldn't know her. But then I wasn't having to think so hard about her anymore..a relief, but then both families for their own reasons decided it wasn't the right time, so they decided against it.
6. I have been in prayer about her and I feel that somehow God wants me to step out in faith and he will provide, but then again I have been wrong or misunderstood God's leading in my life in the past..

What to do?????...besides obsess about it!!!!!!!!!!!!

On a clearer note: I am sending in my completed dossier to Steph tomorrow and she told me that Hawk is doing much better. If all goes well, maybe the paperwork will be in Haiti by mid-May and then in IBSER (Haiti's government side of things) sometime in June..

3 comments:

Ericka said...

I read your note from the PAC and have been thinking about you. I say GO FOR IT!!!!!
I have three kids and I definitely think it's do-able and the kids are a little older, not little babies. I know it "sounds" crazy and people will judge, but they're going to judge anyway so why not give them something to REALLY talk about. And when things get bad (and there WILL be rough spots) you have us who DO understand what the heck you are going through to give you support. I'm in the complete same boat, trying to justify my desire to adopt and friends and family looking at me like, "why." They may never "get it" but oh, well......... what more can we do, make everyone else happy or our family???
So - I weigh in with adopt both E and K!!!! It will be a big jump and a big adjustment, but then you'll settle in to your "new" normal.

Tanya said...

Wanting to say HI!

I also am on the PAC Yahoo group, and I hope to be where you are soon. I want to jump in and adopt, but am afraid of the same things you mentioned!

Sarah and Tim said...

So happy the Gabryel is doing better. This is awesome news! Wanted to let you know that if the Lord is putting something on your heart, don't ignore it. I know from reading your newest blog, you went for it, but just know it is far better to listen to the Lord and be in his will, than to not! Will be praying for you and this

My Travels