"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!


















Pix#1: Crazy hair 1st thing this morning, and a bath the night before.
Pix#2: Globe trotting Tuki

Pix#3: A girl and her rocks

Pix#4: Her new shoes, and a little more managed hair style. She is playing after church this morning. Do you think she has enough toys?

Pix#5: Asking for a "High Five" after she climbed down the stairs outside the house. Also an example of what I currently do with her hair. A unicorn on top of the head!!


Owl is at an age when there is some new behavior or accomplishment on a daily basis. I wanted to take the time in this post to share of of them, and also ask advice of more seasoned parents.

She has been able to go up the steps easily for over one month, but then this past week, my training her to go down them backwards has paid off. I was teaching her to stop when she came to a step, turn around and then step down. I initially had to physically move her through the motions while stating what to do. Well last Wednesday she did it all on her own, and then we do a "High Five" once she has finished the task successfully.

She now not only waves bye but also says "bye"

I have some "very" special rocks, yes there is such as thing as special rocks that I have accumulated over the years. They signify some important times in my life. Well anyway I have them displayed in various places around the house and Skylar knows not to mess with them. She usually does an excellent job, but one night she was extremely quiet and I went to check on her and of course she had the rocks. So I decided that she needed some of her own rocks. I gathered some "sort of" special rocks and put them in a zipper bag just for her. There were originally seven, now only five...who knows where the other two are, but she sure enjoys playing with them.

I had an old globe that was at work that I had used for my classes. Last week I decided to bring it back home because Owl has a thing for globes. So now she plays with it and I tell and show her daily where she was born and where she lives now and where her brother Hawk currently lives. I know she is a little too young to understand, but eventually it will sink in.

She shows an affinity for numbers, a lot more so than letters. When she is taking a bath, I sing the "Dr. Seuss ABC" book to her, (she won't let me forget) and then I sing a "Number Book" to her. She always wants me to repeat the number book. I also read her "8 Little Monkeys" first thing in the morning. She loves it!!

Those who read this and really know me personally, know these four things about me.
1. I hate shopping
2. I have no fashion sense
3. I am frugal in everyday spending
4. I am sometimes too practical

These four truths collide with Owl's idea of the perfect shoe. Yesterday, I had picked out a pair of brown leather sandals. I thought since I couldn't find imitation Air Walks I'd buy these sandals and since they were brown she could wear them outside, show little to no dirt, and yet wear them about town. Well, I showed them to her and there was no reaction on her face, absolutely nothing. So I experimented and showed her a pair of white shoes/sandals with butterflies on them. She grinned the biggest smile. I bought them. Yup, I am a sucker when it comes to my daughter. They are no good for quick slip-on, outside romp around, but good for other places. I also found a pair of pink imitation Air Walks. I bought them too. She has been wearing them around the house and outside and she wore her new white shoes to church today.

Lastly, I don't know what to do with her hair. I need help. I started putting conditioner in around Easter. When it is humid outside like today, it is wild and crazy with curls. When it is dry outside it lies flat, and appears dry and "fly away" type of hair. I started putting it up, as you may have witnessed in some pictures, but it is a battle to keep it in. She is on to the "Oh don't you look pretty"..she doesn't care, she just wants the hair pieces OUT.
Suggestions are highly welcome!!!!

2 comments:

Ericka said...

What about head bands?

Jenn said...

Both of our daughters had fine long, fly away hair when they were young, but lots of it. I used to use spray (leave in) conditioner once they were out of the bath. I would make sure it was dry before bed or it would be crazy in the morning. We did the "unicorn" hair alot too. We also used barrettes, bandanas, head bands, and pig tails.

My Travels