"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Friday, April 13, 2007

Seriously!!!!




To be a working mother requires one to multi-task to the extreme. To be a single working mother takes this multi-tasking to a whole new level. When I awake in the morning, I need my coffee fix. The fix amounts to around 4 plus cups of coffee with just a tad amount of milk. When I first started drinking coffee many years ago, I added many items to doctor it up to hide the "coffee' flavor. Now, I just need my fix nearly straight up, and how..yesterday when I went to work, I was exhausted all day. I didn't understand the extreme exhaustion. I thought it may be due to the snowy weather, or my worry about Hawk, or Tuki's new disposition. I just didn't know., but upon return last night while getting Tuki ready for bed I discovered my cold coffee (at least 3 cups worth) sitting on the high book shelf in her room. I must have forgotten it there while dressing her in the morning and became so busy I left it..thus the reason I was sooo tired...I need my coffee!!!!

The other morning I had to remind myself what I was doing for class while walking from the car to the building. I realized that in my morning routine of getting up early, showering, dressing, letting the dogs out, preparing breakfast, waking Tuki, dressing Tuki, and getting her and me along with my lunch out the door by 7:00 am I tend to forget about the next step after the daycare drop off until I am approaching my work place. In my parentless days, I would have thought about it the night before and the next morning constantly. Not to say I don't think about it before hand now, just not as much.

Then, when leaving work after working constant without a lunch break (eat while I work) so that I do not have to take papers home to grade, I make haste to pick up Tuki, because I know she is waiting for me, then we arrive home, snack and if nice outside, we go for a 3 to 3 1/2 mile walk and/or run. Arrive home, play around outside or inside, eat supper, bath, dance around the room shaking her gourd rattle from Guatemala, read, rock and then off to bed by 6:30 to 7:00 pm for her and later for me, AND yet the irony of this whole situation is; is that I am much more happy, even though I am so much more busy.

I have worked hard this year to NOT allow the fact that my personal situation has changed affect my job performance. So by the end of the week, like Friday nights, all I want to do is sit home, do laundry, clean my house and shut the rest of the world out, just for a few hours. But then by Saturday I am ready to go once again...crazy world we live in,

Now imagine my daily routine...do you have it visualized..ok, now add into the fix, another toddler...I can hardly wait...seriously!!!!

3 comments:

StefB said...

Your routine scares me! And I am a single-mom-to-be, having just gotten OUT of PGN yesterday! I will be reading your blog pre-pickup trip as inspiration/instruction :)
I am a teacher as well, so your experience truly applies.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I am so with you on this sister! And, if you can believe it, things get more and more crazy and wonderful with two... with my oldest home from college this summer I will have three again. My head is spinning but I am happy!

Sarah and Tim said...

I sooo understand! I too work in the school setting as a traveling therapist. I so have a husband, however he works 2 jobs and we have 4 children wanting to add another. I too can say that this is truely the happiest time in my life, even though the lack of sleep is somethimes bothersome!:)

My Travels