"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Helpers

A Mama's helper, just like Tuks. She loves to help me clean, wash dishes and fold laundry, etc. It takes a great juggling act for me keeping them both from making any major messes while helping me to clean. LOL

I am taking Tuks to Angie's school all this week to keep some normal routine in her life and then starting next week I will keep her home until after Christmas. Both girls were upset when I dropped Tuks off this morning. Definitely a step in the right direction considering all the changes and because they have been spatting a little more lately. Yes, normal between sisters. Ve has even pushed Tuks (mostly accidentally), yet Tuks greatest concern with her sister coming home. Trust me, there are many tears when that happens.

Ve is showing interest in learning now that she is home, but not while in Haiti. I am starting to think it was a good thing Ve came home separately from Mim. I think it gives her more freedom to try things without the pressure from the other kids at the O. In some ways she is almost a different kid from the little I knew her in Haiti.

She is putting up more resistance to the putting on of the coat, boots and mittens. She shared with the doctor yesterday that she DOES NOT like the cold. Imagine, it is about a 100 degree difference (esp. with our cold weather lately) towards the negative for her. BRRRRRR!!!!!



5 comments:

veggiemom said...

Sounds like, all in all, things are going pretty well. Adding an older child is so different than adding an infant - in some ways easier and in some ways harder but so different. Does Ve have any English yet? If not, does she have any reading skills in Creole? One thing that really helped Medina was the phrase book I had that had words/phrases in English, phoenetic Amharic and Amharic. If I didn't say something so she could understand, I could show her the Amharic and she could read it and understand. She never really raged but would go into herself and cry very silently. As her communication got better, so did that. I have found that Medina continues to enjoy cartoons meant for much younger kids - Tigger and Pooh, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, etc.
Keep up the good work!

Marta said...

She might have felt intimidated about the learning thing, especially with the older girls naturally excelling in that area.

My 2 cents, but I think it's probably good that she has this time to bond with you and Tuks before Mim comes home. I remember what you said after we came home, that Ve wanted to be a part of a family but didn't quite know how. Now she is learning at her own pace. Mim, and my two, at least, do have substancial experience living with family, and they had a natural confidence. Sometimes I felt like Ve felt overshadowed by that. Now is her time! And it looks and sounds like she is doing great! And I think you are doing great too Mama!

Chapter Two said...

Oh yeah! Congrats on getting home and the good start with Ve. Even if it is the honeymoon. You're wise to see that possibility.

I'm so happy for you and glad to read that you made it home safely and things are going pretty well.

Blessings!
K at Chapter Two

Mandy said...

Is she going to be ok with me trying to touch her hair? Not sure how she is with strangers so let me know what you want from me on Sat so I don't upset her. I don't want to throw her into a rage. Also do you think it will help her to be around Asha and seeing someone with her skin color again? Don't forget to e-mail me directions on how to get to your house. I will bring my tackle box of beads and stuff and I do have some products that you can keep that I don't use. See you Sat.

This Mama said...

Yes it would be an intense time (seasonally) to adjust to. I know that all the photos we seem to send to Haiti of the local landscape are all rainy and I always wonder if the kids think it rains here 24/7. Oh wait...it pretty much does. I guess it is a good excuse to stay inside and get cozy/cuddle?

:) Take care - sounds like everything is going really well and I agree with you, I think it is great that it worked out that Ve came home first.

My Travels