"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Testing

Today was eventful on many accounts.

We went through the alphabet and she repeated the letters after me. I will do this daily in hopes of her retaining some before the first day of kindergarten on January 5th.

We also registered Ve for kindergarten and walked through her school. The lady registering her was awesome about her age. She said she wasn't worried about any BC, just the doctor's letter and a copy of her VISA passport. She held up the copy of the VISA passport and said "I know you had to really jump through hoops to get one of these granted, so just send in the corrected BC and legal name change in 6 months". I told her "Thank you for understanding that, because not everyone seems to get the fact that her adoption is all legal and finalized"

Ve was REALLY testing me today. I think on nearly everything she took in stride before. I am sure to see if I mean what I say. In addition, My gut feels she wants me to react to her offenses (for lack of a better word) in the same way I react to Tuks. I think it gives her a sense of belonging. They belong and are loved just the same by me. When ever I asked her not to do something, she'd continue it with a devious smile on her face until either I had to take the object away or move her away from the problem area. THEN, she would wail, and wail while flinging herself around on the floor. I would pick her up and just hold her until she quit crying, and then ask her if she was OK, sometimes she'd shake her head yes, sometimes no, so we'd sit longer. This happened maybe 4 - 5 times. I decided I am going to remain firm in my expectations even though she is so new to being home. I am constantly aware of the fact that I have a 3 year old always watching, just waiting for me to keep my expectations the same, or believe me, I will see the ugly results.

She also let me feed her at supper and she likes to cuddle and sit with me like a baby on the rocking chair. It seems she is going through all these phases that I have read about in transitions in warp speed. I hope this continues to the point where it feels comfortable to her and us. I can't help but notice how mature Tuks looks in comparison, but I do understand why. One time when Ve went into a wailing mode, Tuks gathered up all Ve' hair gadgets and kindly and quietly put them away in the bathroom. Their roles are definitely reversed right now, but I also know logically that in time Ve will catch up and surpass (maybe) Tuks maturity level. I say maybe because a friend tells me all the time how she can't get over how independent Tuks is at only 3. I am sure partly due to my raising her as a single Mom and her observing me handling most things myself, and partly because of her personality.



Hubble, Ve's true love right now. Yet to think the first night she was terrified of the cats.

6 comments:

Leslie said...

You are doing a great job! Hang in there, keep up what you are doing, and try to get to sleep at night. Praying for you!

Jenn said...

Wil did the same thing. He would look to me when he was misbehaving wanting the same punsihment the others got. I stuck firm to my expectations and he learned very quickly what acceptable behaviour was. It was hard but worth it. You are doing great!

Marta said...

Sounds like she is doing great! Hope you are able to get some rest. Keep up the good work!

Chapter Two said...

So much for you all to process and get accustomed to. It sounds like you're off to a very good start. As you know, the testing is healthier than not though it can wear you thin.
Hugs,
K at Chapter Two

Sarah said...

Wow! You are doing so well! I am learning so much by reading what you are writing. .

I hope you are able to get a bit of rest too. Keep up the good work, Mama!

veggiemom said...

That's great aobut the school. Sounds like Ve is continuing to work through things and you're doing a great job supporting her.

My Travels