"Let every individual and institution now think and act as a responsible trustee of Earth, seeking choices in ecology, economics and ethics that will provide a sustainable future, eliminate pollution, poverty and violence, awaken the wonder of life and foster peaceful progress in the human adventure."
- John McConnell, founder of International Earth Day

RIGHT NOW, and then again tomorrow and then again the next day and on it goes day after day,
1/2 OF THE WORLD lives on LESS THAN 2 DOLLARS each day.

Psalm 27:4
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
Do all you can and don't worry about the odds against you. Wield the miracle of life's energy, never worrying whether we fail, concerned only that whether we fail or succeed we do so with all our might. That's all we need to know to feel certain that all our force of diligent effort is worth our while on Earth.
Carl Safina, Voyage of the Turtle

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Learning


Tonight while reading this book, Ve pointed out the two cats in the book and called them Beatrice and Hubble. They are not just Mimi's anymore, but rather her beloved pets. SWEEETTTT

I have noticed since the day Ve came home that she purposely, not accidentally turns books upside down when pretending to read them. At first I thought there may be a problem, but then I realized (I hope this is the issue) that in her experience of reading books, I am almost 100 percent sure she was always on the top end (so the pages appeared upside down) of the book when she was read to or was looking at a book with the older kids. To her upside down is correct.

We have been working on correcting that habit and her habit of yelling as well. I mentioned in my June post about her yelling and as to why I think she does it. But with guidance and new words to use in place of the yelling, it is slowly becoming more like children playing rather than one yelling and one saying "I not do nothing wrong".

Ve also can count up to 40 in English and sing the alphabet song, but can't yet recognize the letters or numbers. This is a little behind Tuks and I can see Ve tries harder when she sees that Tuks already knows more than her. I guess Tuks is a good motivator and she really encourages Ve when she tries and gets things correct. It is really cute to watch. Ve loves the praise when she "gets it", which I am glad to see because I also mentioned in the June post that at that time she did not show, at least to me, any interest in learning. Now it is totally different. I told her tonight that she will start going to school on Monday. Her reaction was all smiles!!

Just like I let Tuks take a book or two to bed with her, Ve is starting to take a book to bed with her as well. To me it shows a love of books, thus hopefully it will transfer into reading.

Today they were really playing, just like well bonded and loving sisters. I really do feel deeply that bringing sisters home for/with Tuks was the best thing I could have EVER done for her...EVER!!! Even on the days she may not see it clearly, I still do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That makes sense to why Ve is used to looking at the books upside down. I would have never thought of that! I don't know if you were a bush fan or not, but when I saw the Goodnight Moon book on your post it reminded me of a book I just recently saw with that cover only "Goodnight Bush" Have you seen it? I am not a bush fan, but I was suprised to see a children's book about all the "bad" things he has done...HA

veggiemom said...

That's funny about Ve trying harder when Tuki already knows something. I always knew I would have 2 kids but I never anticipated how much they would help each other in development. It's interesting to watch how they teach and push each other.

My Travels